Meeting Point2 builds on successful pilot programme Meeting Point1, which took place in 2016 and saw artists working with nine museums across the North East and Yorkshire.
For Meeting Point2 ten artists have been selected by ten museums across the North to produce new artworks inspired by the museums and their collections.
Funded by Arts Council England’s Museum Resilience Fund, Meeting Point2 presents artworks in unexpected places and supports small and medium scale museums to commission artists, who will create a piece of work in response to the venue.
Judith King, director at Arts&Heritage said: "Meeting Point addresses the fundamental question of why museums and the contemporary arts should work together.
"The potential benefits of placing new and exciting artworks in museum and heritage venues are huge, not only for the artists and the venues but for the museum visitors, who will encounter a new way of experiencing history and their collections."
The project aims to bring new visitors to participating museums, and position the museums as exciting places to see contemporary art.
The ten museums and artists taking part in Meeting Point2 are:
- Brontë Parsonage Museum – Lynn Setterington
- Chetham’s Library, Manchester – Brass Art
- Experience Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre – Jacob
- Cartwright and Nick Jordan
- Gawthorpe Textiles Collection – Serena Partridge
- Hexham Old Gaol – Matt Stokes in collaboration with Richard Dawson
- Lion Salt Works, Cheshire – Martin Hylton
- Norton Priory Museum and Garden – David Appleyard
- Portland Basin Museum, Ashton-under-Lyne – Magnus Quaife
- Prescot Museum, Knowsley – Owl Project
- Preston Park Museum – Stephen Dixon and Alison Welsh
The nine museums and artists that took part in Meeting Point1 are:
- Morpeth Chantry Bagpipe Museum, Northumberland - Ziad Jabero working with the Bagdhaddies
- Dales Countryside Museum, Yorkshire - David Murphy
- Durham Castle - Jo Coupe
- Head Of Steam, Darlington - Cath Campbell
- Kirkleatham Museum, Redcar - Grennan and Sperandio
- Pannett Art Gallery, Whitby - Pippa Hale
- The Workhouse Museum, Ripon - Catherine Bertola
- Shandy Hall, Yorkshire - Anne Vibeke Mou
- Thackray Medical Museum, Leeds - Irene Brown